Monday, May 7, 2012

Trying to Finish Something

Ugh.  I have like, three half-written posts that I just haven't gotten around to finishing.  And I'm not sure I want to actually finish them.  The topics just don't seem to interest me anymore.  But we'll see.  Maybe I'll surprise myself.

This weekend was my birthday weekend.  I am now 31 years old.  We drove up to Pittsburgh to spend the weekend with my family, and I'm so glad we did.  Here are some pictures:
My dad is great at rocking babies to sleep!

If only you could hear our fabulous renditions of "Happy Birthday"...

Jacob loves hanging out with his aunt

I think he looks like Erik here...

... and he looks like me here.

I just love this face!

One happy family!
I love my kid.  He's too darn cute.  That's why there are more pictures of him in this post than of me and my birthday fun :-)

This year's birthday felt different for me.  I woke up and looked at Jacob and thought that 31 years ago that day, I was Jacob's size (okay, a few pounds lighter, but you know what I mean) and now here I was with a little munchkin of my own.  Funny how that circle goes around.  Then I started thinking about my sister's birthday (I have no idea why) -- she's going to be 28 this year!  She'll be in the 30s club before I know it.  It's weird to me to think about that.  In my head, my parents, my grandmother, my siblings, my aunts and uncles and cousins... they don't age.  It's like I keep getting older, but to me, they don't.  Has anyone else felt like this?

This is my last full week of time off with my sweet boy before I have to go back to work.  I plan on savoring every minute I have with this over these next few days.  The things that will save me from going absolutely bonkers at leaving him are (1) members of our families are going to be watching him; (2) I have truly awesome co-workers [I know I've said that before, but I can't stress it enough]; and (3) there will only be something like 3 weeks of school left before summer vacation.  And then I will have my baby boy back all day again, with the exception of some workshops I'll have to attend here and there :-)

My little guy is waking up now from his morning mini-nap.  I need to go scoop him up and spend quality time with him.  I'm starting to work out a Mother's Day post, but don't get too excited.  There's a good chance it will end up in the unfinished drafts pile because my house is a mess, I need to start working on lesson plans again, and I need to pay solid attention to a certain little human :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment