Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Focus

So at one of the high schools in which I taught, we had a weekly newsletter that went out on Fridays called, appropriately, "The Friday Focus."  It started in part because we had an insane amount of "kudos" emails circulating.  Seriously, the emails were becoming ridiculous.  I mean, I like to acknowledge people who take the time to go out of their way to do something, and I like to be acknowledged for doing the same, but it was getting out of hand.  We sometimes joked that we would send a kudos for "closing your classroom door quietly" or "saying hello to me in the morning."  Anyway, the Friday Focus included a kudos section, but it also included some other little goodies -- upcoming events, birthdays, good news, interesting things seen in other classrooms, and teaching tips.  I kept every single one because the teaching tips (courtesy of our incredibly AWESOME mentor) were fantastic little gems.  I use a lot of the tips she gave us (thank you, Linda, if you're reading this!).

So here is my idea.  Most of us can probably agree that writing is a lot easier when you have a topic on which to write.  Midweek Confessions is a great way to unload some of those things you've been storing up inside.  I think that Friday Focus should be used to write about some of the good things that are happening, or things for which you are grateful.  If nothing else, it will give me a break from being a "negative Nancy."  :-)

So here goes...  the first edition of "Friday Focus"!

(Sorry I don't have a neat little banner thing to advertise this.  I don't know how to make them.  Anyone out there in blog world want to help me out?)

-  Every afternoon, weather permitting, I sit outside on the porch swing on our back deck with Jacob.  I like to think of this as our extra bonding time.  It's calming for both of us -- so much so that Jacob tends to fall asleep.  And I love nothing more than swinging in the swing with my baby sleeping in my arms.

-  Our families are pretty fabulous.  Various family members are going to be taking turns watching Jacob as I return to work and then when I attend various workshops during the summer.  I can't even begin to tell you how much better I feel about going back to work, simply because I know Jacob will be in good hands.  It's quite a weight off my shoulders.

-  This evening will be another outing of "the mommy club."  A small group of us from work who have had babies within the last few years decided that we should get together each month (or close enough to each month) for dinner.  It's a nice chance to go out and have girl talk and leave the pressures of being a mommy at home (even though we usually end up talking about mommy things).  Tonight we're going to The Melting Pot.  I've never been and I am so looking forward to this!

So (seriously, I need to stop using this word as a sentnece starter...) there are just a few of my good things.  What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment