Monday, May 14, 2012

Three Months

Happy Monday, folks!  It's a rainy day here, so Jacob and I aren't able to go for any walks.  It's a bit of a bummer.  This is my second to last day at home with my little guy before I go back to work.  I'm feeling a little sad, but I keep reminding myself that (a) he'll be in good hands; (b) I love my coworkers, they love me, and they'll cheer me up; and (c) it's only for a couple weeks and then I'll be home again with him for the summer.  I've already cried a little today.  I'm sure I'll cry more tomorrow and then probably a lot more on Wednesday.

Speaking of the little guy...  he is 3 months old today!  I can't believe it.
3 months!
What He's Doing:  Jacob is pretty good at picking and holding his head up for long periods of time.  On tummy time, he can keep his head up at a 90 degree angle for a few minutes.  He's starting to practice rolling (from tummy to back only right now) and he sits up well as long as we hold on to him.  He's discovered his hands and loves to put them in his mouth.  He's also drooling like crazy.  I swear, I have no idea where all that spit comes from...  He carries on "conversations" with us and with himself.

How He Acts:  We definitely have our ups and downs -- he's developing a very distinct personality!  He will definitely let us know when he doesn't like something.  But he also lets us know when he does like something.  He's becoming very independent in that sense!  He can be a bit of a grouch, but when he smiles, it's the best look in the world.

Jacob loves Grover

How He's Eating:  He still doesn't like to go much more than 2-3 hours between feedings.  He'll take about 4oz in a bottle.

How He Sleeps:  Fabulously!  We usually put him down for bedtime by 8pm and he'll usually sleep until about 3am before he wants to eat.  Then he'll often sleep again until 6 or 6:30am.  He takes about three naps during the day -- one in the early morning, one in the early afternoon, and one in the late afternoon.  These last about 30-45 minutes.  Sometimes he'll take an extra one or two, depending on what he's feeling.

What He Likes:  Jacob loves to sit up like a big boy.  In fact, if you lean him back, he'll usually try to pull himself up so he's sitting straight up.  Of course, we still have to hold him up, but he keeps himself pretty steady.  He also likes his vibrating bouncy chairs, walks in the stroller, and swinging on the porch swing (so rainy days like today are NOT something he enjoys).  He loves to giggle, coo, and smile.  And if you hold him or pay attention to him, he'll be your best friend.

What He Dislikes:  Jacob does not like to be held like a baby very often.  One of the few times he'll let you hold him like that is when he's really tired.  He does not like tummy time.  At all.  Which makes practicing rolling over very difficult.  He does not like to be forced to do anything that he doesn't really feel like doing.


I'm trying desperately to catch up on laundry today, but it's not working out so well.  First, a cricket spider paid me a visit in the laundry room this morning.  Scared the CRAP out of me!  I tried to vacuum it up, but it jumped away before I could.  Those suckers jump HIGH, which is also scary.  I have no idea where it is now.  And now, I finally got Jacob to take his latest nap (he was so tired, but really fighting sleep) but I had to put him in the baby carrier and walk around with him in order to get him to sleep.  So right now I have a sleeping baby attached to me -- and I'm not about move him, because I know that there won't be too many of these moments again.

How is your Monday going?

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jacob is SO precious. I woke up exhausted from all the fabulous Mother's Day fun we had over the weekend. I am teleworking today and getting caught up on my "chores".

    I have 4 children and have always gone back to work. The first 3 days are pretty emotional but once you realize they are in good hands and doing fine the anxiety levels start going done. Good luck and enjoy your last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete