Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

It's Mother's Day!  Happy day to all you moms and mom-like people out there!  This was my very first Mother's Day, and it was a special day.  Erik packed us up in the car and drove us up to Philadelphia for the day.  I had never been there, and we've been talking about going for quite some time now.  The weather looked great today, so we figured we'd take advantage of it and go.  Jacob was a trooper.  I think his favorite part of the day was when we flipped him around in his baby carrier so that he'd face out and could check out his surroundings.  It was so neat to see the part of American history that essentially created our country as a country. 

This past Friday was our mommies club dinner.  I'm pretty sure I mentioned earlier that we were going to The Melting Pot -- and it was my first time going there, too!  It was a pretty tasty experience.  I'm not sure if my favorite part was the cheese or the chocolate.  And I had a great time catching up with the mommies.

Yesterday we went up to my in-laws' for a cookout.  In addition to this Sunday being Mother's Day, it is also my father-in-law's birthday.  So we celebrated birthdays and Mother's Day and had a really nice time of it.

And now, in honor of Mother's Day, here is a letter to my mom (I love you, mommy!):

Dear Mom:
Thank you.  I know you sometimes think that you weren't the best mom, but I'm here to tell you that you're 100% completely wrong when you say that.  Wow.  I was finally able to tell you that you were wrong about something :-)  But really mom, you did just fine with us.  I have so many great memories from my childhood.  I loved our first day of school parties, complete with school bus shaped cake, that you used to throw for us.  I know you did them so we'd be excited about going to school, but now that's something I want to carry on, too.  I loved how you would pack us up in the car during the summer and take us to Two Mile Run or Oil City State Park for a few hours.  I loved the cakes you made us for our birthdays.  It was always a special treat to wake up on our party day and sneak a peek at what you created.  You always found a way to turn the ordinary into something extraordinary.  Thank you for worrying about me then and now.  Thank you for making sure that I always went to bed with a back scratch and a song.  Thank you for making sure that whenever I leave you, I go with a blessing.  Most importantly, thank you for teaching me how to be a great mom.  I hope that I can be as awesome as you are, and that Jacob will look back on his childhood as fondly as I look back on mine.

Love,
me!  :-)

Me, my mom, and my Babcia

No comments:

Post a Comment