Saturday, July 6, 2013

Peaceful Mornings

Even though it's summer vacation, and I don't have to go to work on a daily basis, there is still nothing that beats the relaxing feeling of a weekend morning.  Erik has taken Jacob to the grocery store with him, giving me a little quiet time to myself.  So I'm enjoying my coffee while I do some online stalking check out Facebook and blog updates.  The only thing that would make this morning more perfect?  Watching Today while I sit here on the couch.  But alas, the Tour de France has taken over NBC.  #firstworldproblems

There are other things that would make this morning more perfect...

... cooler temperatures so that windows could be open to let a gentle breeze go through the house...

... sitting out on the deck of a house overlooking a lake or the ocean...

... an orange kitty curled up next to me...

But I digress.

How was your 4th of July holiday?  Ours was quiet, which was nice.  We chose to stay home, and I enjoyed spending the day as just our little family.  We didn't do anything special.  We took a walk in the morning.  We sat with Jacob and played blocks and read books.  In the early evening, we went back outside and let Jacob run around a bit.  It was a good family day.

My friend Angela over at Time with A & N wrote a nice 4th of July post in which she ties in some of her experiences with teaching American Literature and the America of today.  I taught the same course one year, and it's hard to go through that class and NOT think about what our "founding fathers" and others have done in order for us to live the lives we do (it's almost impossible to not think about it).  You make connections to your own life, and what your family and friends have experienced.  I think about my American Dream and how it compares to what I imagine was my great-grandparents' American Dream.  I'm sure that they're very similar -- wanting to experience the sense of ownership of something (property? where your life takes you?); happiness for self and family; success (not neccessarily financial, although being financially comfortable is always a plus); living a productive life...

Seems like the founding fathers covered that -- life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness...

Erik and I watched Anne Frank the other night.  And I was reminded of how grateful I should be for the life I have.

So I'll happily enjoy my peaceful morning, sipping my coffee, watching the morning news shows.  I'll soak up the everyday experiences I have with my family.  And I'll be thankful that I have the ability to do these things on a regular basis without any fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment