Monday, March 4, 2013

Oh Jacob...

Okay, time to ask for a little advice from my happy readers...

Problem 1:  Jacob and the "Real" Shoes
So I've got a pair of "real" shoes for Jacob.  He will wear his soft-soled crib shoes all day with no problem, but with the weather warming up (well... sort of...) I want to be able to take Jacob outside even though he refuses to walk on grass or cement to play.  The other day, as I got him ready to go out and play on the deck, I popped on his "real" shoes, only to find that the minute he stood up in them, he started screaming like his feet were on fire and refused to move.  He kept his feet firmly planted on the ground and stared at his feet and screamed.  So I removed the "real" shoes and put his crib shoes on and he was miraculously suddenly able to walk.  I've tried the "real" shoes again a few more times since, but I get the same result every time.

So my question with this one is how do I help him get used to the "real" shoes and over the whole frozen-in-place-and-screaming phase?

Problem 2:  Jacob the Picky Eater
Jacob + Food = An Issue.  Here are things he likes to eat:
  • applesauce
  • butternut squash
  • sweet potatoes
  • yogurt
  • fish
  • Puffs
  • Cheerios
  • rice cakes
Things he will sometimes eat (if prepared the way he wants it -- which changes frequently... and by sometimes I mean he'll take a bite and eat some one day but won't touch it the next):
  • oatmeal
  • rice cereal
  • bananas
  • peaches
  • apricots
  • prunes
  • chicken nuggets
  • meatballs
  • pancakes
  • mashed potatoes
  • cream of wheat
What we've tried that he won't touch:
  • peas
  • carrots
  • broccoli
  • pasta (any kind -- no matter what -- even mac & cheese... I don't think he's my kid...)
  • toast
  • beans (any kind)
  • bagels/English muffins
  • eggs
  • grilled cheese
  • cheese (any kind)
I'm getting frustrated.  It seems like whatever we try, he refuses, no matter how many times we make an attempt to bring it in.  I've tried dipping things (even in applesauce) but he doesn't like that.  So... what to do?  How do you deal with a picky eater?  I worry that he's not eating a balanced diet because, well, he dislikes so much or he eats something one day and then suddenly refuses it the next.

Problem 3:  Jacob and the Temper Tantrum
Jacob seems to have inherited my temper.  I apparently used to throw some wicked temper tantrums when I was little, and I'm afraid Jacob may be heading down the same path.  If he's not getting his way, he sits down, screams, cries, and falls face forward (maybe "falls" isn't the right word...).  This happens most frequently when he wants to be picked up.  We don't want him to think that he can be picked up every. single. time. he wants it.  And we don't want him to think that he can get whatever he wants whenever he wants it. 

How do we deal with these tantrums and redirect him to something else?


Any thoughts on any of these topics would be greatly appreciated...

Me?  Trouble?  You've got to be kidding...

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what to do about the shoes. Lily is such a girl and loves her shoes. She does not like trying them on though...it's a matter of warming up to new ones for her...

    My mom posted this on her FB wall the other day: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/feeding-toddlers-8-common-mistakes-parents-142000815.html#!b6BTl

    I think it makes sense. Lily can be picky, too. The best advice from my pedi: let them eat what they like...so what if she is eating chicken nuggets and not real chicken...at least she is eating that meat (and, eventually, her tastes will change).

    Tantrums- we let her throw it and ignore her (as long as she isn't going to knock herself out throwing her body down). Then, I suggest something new. Like yesterday- she wanted to keep fingerpainting, but we had to stop. She threw a fit in her chair, so we get it all put away while she cried and kicked and then I said, want a snack? And she was all, "nack! nack!" and it was over. Maybe she is just easily distracted (I used to be when I was little--).

    ReplyDelete