Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Snow Day Discoveries

Despite us not being in school again today, thanks to this latest snow event, I'm still learning a few things.

1.  I would not be a good stay-at-home mom.  Actually, I would totally suck at it.  All of you SAHMs out there, I don't know HOW you do it.  I don't even know how my mom did it when we were little.  Especially with an energetic toddler who wants to do nothing but play with trains or watch train videos.  This is rough.  And it doesn't help that it's too cold to go outside for any reason at all.  So to all of you SAHMs, I offer you a never-ending standing ovation.  You deserve it.  I'm exhausted.  I love a good snow day just as much as most teachers do, but now that I'm a mom, my kid has snow days, too.  Sometimes I pretend I have to poop just so I can sit in the bathroom for a few minutes of quiet.  At least until Jacob comes a runnin' and opens the door.  Quite-time plan foiled.

2.  I don't do well being cooped up inside the house.  At all.  We're tired of playing with the same toys, reading the same books, doing the same activities.  And while searching Pinterest for something different to do, I discovered that I'm an inadequate mom/wife.  But more on that later.  Back to be cooped up inside the house.  I just want to leave the house right now.  Even to go out and get the mail.  But that's not exactly an easy thing to do.  First, it requires layers of clothing.  For both myself and my child.  Then it requires navigating snow-covered sidewalks.  That's tricky enough for my less-than-graceful self (Did I tell you how I managed to knock over a glass of water by setting it down on the table?  No?  Trust me, this is a talent I have.) without carrying a toddler.  Add that one into the mix -- because he refuses to walk in snow -- and it gets to be even more fun.  And folks, I'm not spending the time to put layers on myself and my child only to have to pull everything back off again a few short minutes later.  Because let's face it, our excursion out of doors would only last a few minutes once we felt the cold sting our faces.  Maybe you're tougher than I am.

3.  I'm an inadequate mom/wife.  I think I've addressed this one before, but like I said, searching Pinterest just makes this subject more obvious.  How do these women find the time to keep immaculate houses, cook amazing looking and tasting meals, craft complicated multi-stepped projects (documenting the steps along the way with beautiful photographs, and then blogging about said projects on their beautiful blogs), and manage to keep every child in their family so ridiculously happy with the home-crafted games and toys?  Hello, Stepford calling!

4.  I am not suited for ridiculously cold and snowy weather.  I love winter because I get to wear jeans and sweaters and sweatshirts, and I love that because (a) I have upper-arm insecurities, and (b) my armpits sweat a lot (gross, I know) and so I end up with wet armpits.  Sweaters and sweatshirts mask those two issues for me.  Plus I don't like how I look in shorts.  At all.  So winter is great for me.  Until we get these sub-freezing temperatures and anything over a dusting of snow.  Then I'm done.  See #1 and #2 above as two major reasons why.  I think I'm ready for spring now.  That damn groundhog better not say there's going to be 6 more weeks of this, if he knows what's good for him.

5.  I'm listening to my dad fill-in for one of the hosts on WMCE radio (listen to the shows here) and it reminds me of when I was a little kid and my dad was the morning show host on WFRA in Franklin, PA.  He would always play a song for each of us in his show.  It was always fun to listen to him.  It still is.  He has a regular show on Sunday nights now from 6pm to 9pm (again, listen here).  It's like I'm four years old again.  I like it.

So that's what I've discovered so far.  I need to finish eating my lunch and then I wanted to go clean out some drawers in my bathroom.  Gotta do something, since my school work is sitting at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment