Last weekend was an absolutely fabulous weekend, mostly revolving around a visit from my parents.
Saturday morning was a gorgeous, crisp, chilly (almost cold) fall morning. So we decided to take a walk on the Savage Mill Trail. The trail isn't long -- only about a mile -- but it runs along the river and is a nice walk. We bundled up Jacob and enjoyed the early morning. I brought my camera with the hopes of getting a few family shots, but as we set up for a picture I discovered that the batteries had died. Big foo nuggets. But we enjoyed the walk nonetheless, and a certain little munchkin enjoyed it so much that he fell asleep. For our anti-nap baby, that was a bonus. My parents arrived later that afternoon. I went out shopping with my mom while my dad and Erik stayed back and hung out with Jacob. After we got back, we decided to head out to dinner at Bertucci's. Jacob was struggling so hard to stay awake, even though he still had an hour or so to go before his usual bedtime. He eventually gave in and put his little head down on the table and fell asleep. Something he has NEVER done. It was so cute, and yet he looked so sad at the same time. Other patrons in the restaraunt thought it was hilarious.
 |
| Getting bundled up. |
 |
| Just take me on this darn walk already! |
 |
| Dziadzia takes the best pictures of me! |

Sunday we decided we'd all go to the orchard to get some apples and pick some pumpkins. We took my parents and met up with Erik's parents, and we spent a great day at the orchard. We took a hay ride out to the pumpkin patch and wandered around looking for the perfect pumpkins. Jacob seemed pretty content to be outside -- as he always is. It was such a great day to spend with family. I absolutely dreaded having to go back to work on Monday because I had enjoyed the weekend so much.

Of course, what goes up, must come down. When I picked up Jacob from daycare on Monday, they mentioned that he had been much fussier than usual. He felt a little warm, and sure enough, when Erik and I took his temperature that evening, he had a fever. Erik stayed home with him on Tuesday and took him to the doctor. The result? Hand/Foot/Mouth. It had been going around his daycare, so we weren't too surprised. And Jacob seems to have come out of it on the easy side, so we were lucky. He had a little rash and a little discomfort eating, but nothing like what I've heard some kids have experienced. His fever broke that night, but we kept him home for the rest of the week.
This weekend we decided to head down to Blacksburg for Jacob's first visit to Virginia Tech. The weather cooperated -- sunny skies even though it was sometimes a little chilly. Jacob had an awful night on Friday. It probably didn't help that he was still recovering from being sick, he was in an unfamiliar place, and he didn't have his full bedtime routine. He finally fell asleep around 10pm, only to wake up Saturday morning, screaming, at 4am. And he wasn't too keen on going back to sleep. He eventually settled down when we got moving for the day, and he was pretty good for the rest of our trip. We walked all over campus, enjoyed Sub Station lunches, and picked up some of the latest Hokie wear. I love our visits to Blacksburg. And it's on my list of places where I'd like to live.
And now, it's back to reality again. Keep an eye out here for Jacob's 8 month update!
No comments:
Post a Comment