Yup. That was us.
There is probably not much that is more exhausting than trying to take care of a stubborn, cranky, grouchy toddler.
It's been a rough week. Jacob hasn't been feeling well. Monday night, he had a horrible time sleeping. We were up with him every hour or so until about 3am when I brought him into our bed. Then he slept soundly until about 6:45. The rest of the nights this week he's had trouble falling asleep, and he's also been waking up crying at least once late at night.
Jacob also passed on his cold, or whatever he has, to me. I stayed home from school on Wednesday because I felt so awful. I think I'm getting better, but I still feel pretty awful.
I've also just been feeling down in the dumps these last few days. This week would have been baby #2's due date week. So it's been hard to know that if things had worked out and gone well, we would have been bringing home a baby brother or sister for Jacob. But we aren't doing that. And just when we think that maybe we have some hope that another baby could be on the way, we find out that we're wrong, and my body just hates me.
Sorry for being a downer. Erik tells me that I don't write about enough happy and positive things here -- that all I do is write about sad things and complain. So a little bit of happiness: you know that toddler who was a horrible mess today? Well, he's also hit the amazing stage of recognition and communication. This afternoon, before his dinner time melt-down, we spent a few minutes at the end of our street, watching the "mix truck" do its thing at the library renovation. We watched the excavator scoop up dirt and put it into a dump truck. And Jacob was the happiest little boy you could ever see. Sometimes, a construction site at the end of the block is a curse. But more often than not, it's a blessing for a family with a curious little boy who loves "gucks." And tonight, as he was going to bed, he talked about seeing the mix truck, and that it was green (it was), and the loud noise it made, and then how it went home for night night. And in those moments tonight, rocking my little boy before he went to bed, listening to him tell me about what he saw, I was happy. And content. And proud. And we forgot about the day's melt-downs and struggles and disappointments.
| Morning milk with some of our friends |
Complain or be happy or silly. This is your place to just get it off your shoulders whether it s good or bad. I m kind of in a gloomy mood too today and was thinking about writing a post "Let me be me and accept me as me". Maybe we re all just tired. It is the end of the week. All the things we re waiting on and hoping for will come to us in good time. It s just having patience is a lot easier said than done. Sending virtual hugs for your tough week.
ReplyDeleteTo borrow from a tired cliche, "The Lord works in mysterious ways," although I admit that I wonder about His motives a helluva lot. It's not that I'm not grateful for everything that I have. I just get confused about the purpose for everything.
ReplyDeleteThe photo of your little boy with his guys all tucked in for milk time is adorable! Just remember that being a toddler is like being an adolescent sometimes, only shorter...
ReplyDelete