Thursday, September 6, 2012

Updates Just Don't Happen Easily

Erik reprimanded me for not having updated this in a number of days.  Something about how people needed an update...  Yeah...

So the first week of school felt like the LONGEST week of school.  And now this second week, while a short one, felt like one of the most EXHAUSTING weeks.  I guess it didn't help that I had the following "issues":
  1. Our 9th graders' workbooks hadn't come in, so we had to make photocopies of the pages we needed (relax all you copyright people out there -- we have the rights to allow us to do that, so we weren't dabbling in anything illegal) and it figured that the lessons we had to start with were heavy on pages.  It's not a super tiresome job, but planning for it is, and making time in the day to get it done is frustrating.
  2. These 4:30am wake-ups are catching up to me.  Why do I wake up at 4:30?  Well, I have bus duty in the mornings, which requires me to be out in the school's bus loop around 6:55am.  I like to make my photocopies in the morning, and get my classroom ready to go, so I like to get to work between 6 and 6:15 to do that.  I have off first period, but another teacher floats into my room, so I can't use that time to get my room together.  Anyway... in order to get to school by that time, I need to leave my house around 5:30.  I used to wake up at 5, which was fine, because that gave me enough time to get myself put together and get my coffee and lunch.  But now I need to either (a) pump or (b) feed Jacob -- if he's awake -- before I leave.  So that's where the 4:30 alarm comes in. 
  3. There was a mouse in my desk at school.  It freaked me out.  But he (or at least one of his friends) got caught in a trap later in the afternoon.  I feel more sorry for my department chair, Becky, who had to listen to him squeal until one of the custodians could come and dispose of him.  Ugh.
  4. Finding a balance between work and being a mom and a wife is difficult.  If there were more hours in the day, that would make life so much easier.
  5. I have an observation next week.  Not really exhausting, but it's added to the frustration issues.
Jacob news...
  • Jacob is all about crawling.  He still doesn't crawl "pretty," but he goes forward.  And if there is a power cord to a computer or speaker cord, he goes even faster.
  • Jacob LOVES to stand with a little support.  Lean him against something and he starts babbling and laughing.  His newest standing tricks involve standing on one foot, turning from side to side, leaning on one arm, and bouncing up and down.
  • Jacob is FINALLY starting to eat more solid foods.  Pureed squash, sweet potatoes, zucchini, peas, apples and banana have been a hit.  We even tried some puffs and yogurt drops.  Those were good, but he still needs some time to get used to chewing more solid things like that.
  • He's going to be 7 months old next week!  Can you believe that?  Because I can't.
So that's what I've got for you for now.  I'll see if I can't work something else out again soon.

And what would a post be without pictures?  These are from my friend Vera's wedding.  Her photographer was my wedding photographer, too!  And he did a beautiful job with her photos as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment