Thursday, September 27, 2012

Feeling sort of... meh...

I'm not really sure how to categorize this post... if I were to categorize it.  It's sort of a Mid-Week Confessions kind of deal.  But it's also sort of a I Need To Get This Off My Mind kind of deal.  And a I Just Want to Whine and Complain kind of deal.  And heck, it may also morph into a I Really Need Some Counseling kind of deal.  Ha.  So, bear with me.

I don't know what's different about this school year, but I don't feel like I'm really forming any kind of bond with my students this year.  I tell myself that at this time last year, I was definitely already loving my 6th period class (they will forever remain one of my favorite groups) and while I might not have been absolutely loving my other classes, I was at least enjoying them and liked to be in the classroom with them.  Then again, maybe I'm delusional and none of that was happening by this time last year.  My 10th grade class is nice... but they don't really seem to get my lame sense of humor like last years 10th graders did.  And I feel kind of disjointed when I teach them.  Maybe it's because I'm starting off with a different book this year.  It's not that I don't like this group of 10th graders, because I really do, it's just that I don't feel bonded with them yet.  Which is odd to me.

And then there are the 9th graders.  This year's class just seems... for lack a better word... ballsy.  Like, they don't care who you are -- they'll pick a fight with you.  And they're incredibly immature.  Let's face it, there isn't a 9th grade class yet that has started off the year with any great amount of maturity, but this group?  Wow.  I feel like I might be teaching 2nd grade.  I'm already tired of "Mrs. Hohlfeld!  Tell him to stop taking my pen!"  Or, "Mrs. Hohlfeld!  She touched my book!"  Yeah.  By the end of the day, I'm ready to take a dull knife to my foot.  They're a ridiculously frustrating group this year.  I'm ready for it to be June with them.

In Jacob news... we're still waiting to see these fabled teeth that his doctor was talking about to arrive.  Every day I think I'll see them popping through those little gums of his.  And every day there's nothing.  But he chomps on everything he can get his hands on.  He's been eating more "finger foods" now, too.  He loves his puffs -- and he's so proud of himself when he picks them up and gets them into his mouth.  We had vegetable lasagna the other night, so we cut up some of the carrots and zucchini and let him have at it.  And I gave him some small pieces of the chicken that we put in our salad a few nights ago.  He loves to crawl and get into everything.  And he's getting more daring as he pulls himself up on whatever he can -- including mommy and daddy.  It melts my heart when he reaches out to touch our faces and laughs as his hands pat our cheeks or grab our chins.  He's getting so big.  I look back at the pictures of him when he was a brand new baby and I can't believe how tiny and smushy he was.  I also see so much of him now in him then.  He's only 7 months, and I already miss the itty bitty baby he used to be. 

I'm still trying desperately to find a good balance among everything in my life.  I've got no more updates on that part of my life than I did before.

So I guess this is what I've got for now.  I think there were a whole lot of other things I wanted to include, but I've probably bored you enough already :-)  Until next time... whenever that is...

No comments:

Post a Comment