Sunday, February 14, 2016

On Your 4th Birthday

Dear Jacob:
This morning, you were worried that you weren't really four because you hadn't grown.  I held your hand up to mine and said that I couldn't believe how much it grew, and that seemed to convince you that you were really four.  Four years ago, I held that same hand, though much smaller than it is now, and couldn't believe how lucky I was.

So much has happened in the last year for you.  You helped us pack up our townhouse -- the house we first brought you home to -- so that we could sell it, and, with Daddy, took load after load of our belongings to your aunt and uncle's and mimi and pop-pop's houses for storage.  You were flexible when we had to leave the house in a hurry for showings, and more patient than I was when the home inspection went on for longer than we were promised it would.  You didn't fight us when we told you we were going to live with mimi and pop-pop until our new house was ready.  You gave me comforting hugs and kisses when Prababcia died, and told me not to be sad, because she was in Heaven and happy.  You got a big-boy bike and didn't let a fall in the fish pond stop you from riding.  You moved into a new house, and didn't complain (too much) when Comcast took for-eh-ver to get our internet and cable hooked up.  Instead, you made fire lines and fought pretend forest fires with Babcia.  You learned you were going to be a big brother, and although you were initially disappointed that you weren't gaining a little sister, you were happy to think of all the fun things you could share with a little brother. You started a new school with new teachers and new friends.  You made new routines.  You explored your new neighborhood.  You have showered your little brother with love and affection.  And just when I didn't think I could love you any more than I already did... well, you proved me wrong.

You are an amazing little human being.  You say the funniest, sweetest, and most thoughtful things.

But oh, that temper.  You are your mama there.

But oh, that brain.  You are your daddy there.  

You figure things in out in ways I'd never thought of.  You ask such interesting questions and are fascinated by everything.

My sweet boy, I hope you never lose that sense of wonder.  I hope that you continue to ask questions.  I hope you continue to love with all that you have.  And I hope that you always remember how much you are loved by those around you -- especially by your mom and dad.






No comments:

Post a Comment