We are very happy to announce that the extra space in our new house will be filled rather quickly in early December -- Jacob is going to be a big brother!
It's been quite the journey to get us to this place. We were happily expecting a second child back in 2013, but I miscarried that September (see this post:
Finding the Courage). After that, it took until January 2014 for my hormone levels to return to a "normal" range. And then nothing was happening. My cycles were too irregular for me to predict anything, sometimes ranging from 26 days to the longest at 49 days. At my yearly exam in December, I told my doctor about my frustrations, and she referred us to Shady Grove Fertility for consultation and further testing. We completed the diagnostic tests this past January and February, and just as we were working on setting up our second consultation, I learned that I was pregnant. My doctor wasn't too surprised. She said she's had a number of patients who have gone through the diagnostic tests and then gotten pregnant shortly thereafter. The first trimester was stressful for me. I felt a lot sicker in the evenings this time around, and definitely more tired, and in addition to that was the stress of selling our old house and buying a new one. It didn't help that I was on constant pins and needles, worried that we'd lose this baby, too, and without any indication, just like the last. The dating and viability scans showed a baby with a strong heartbeat, and subsequent doctor appointments revealed the same. But I didn't feel like I could really relax until our anatomy scan this past week. Everything is looking good, and we were happy to hear that Jacob would be gaining...


... a little brother! He might have been only slightly disappointed. We hadn't talked much about adding a baby to the family, but we were asking if he'd like to be a big brother (thankfully, he said "yes") and if he wanted a baby brother or a baby sister. Baby sister always seemed to win that round. But if he was disappointed, he didn't show it. He's been asking quite a few questions about baby. Can it hear? Can it see? What does it eat? How did it get there? Did I swallow it? How's it going to come out? Poop is in his belly, and poop comes out his butt, so is the baby going to come out my butt because the baby's in my belly? He pats my belly and hugs it and whispers "hi baby" and "goodnight baby" to it.
I'm still not completely relaxed. I don't know that I will be until he's safely out in the world. But we are very excited and very happy and we're so looking forward to snuggling this little bundle in early December.
Congrats, Sarah and family. The are you going to poop the baby out part is hilarious. Have to love little kids. I had to tell Averi the other day if she wants to have a little brother or another little sister she needs to sleep in her own bed so the baby fairy, much like the tooth fairy, can come. Little kids are so funny about these things. Try to relax now that you're through the first half and settled in your new house. Congrats again.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for the little baby! EEP EEP!
ReplyDeleteToo bad, according to Lily, I can't see you because you are having a baby ;-)