I knew I should have been more careful when writing that Jacob sleeping in a "big boy" bed was going well. Because the minute I say something like that, I jinx myself. And jinx myself (and Erik) I did. For the last two (maybe now three) weeks or so, Jacob has been waking up around 12am and/or 3am. And not waking up calmly. We're talking waking up full on screaming, crying, throwing a fit, wanting mommy and/or daddy to sleep next to him on the floor.
And he doesn't want to stay in bed. He immediately gets out of bed and comes to us.
It's not night terrors. I've read up on those and in most cases, the child suffering from those is actually still asleep. Jacob is wide awake.
He has loveys. He has his Bun-Bun the Bunny and his blankie to snuggle with. He has Glowie the GloWorm that plays his lullaby. He has an assortment of other stuffed animals, including Poppy Cat, Macy Puppy, and Curious George that he likes to snuggle up with at various times. I tried some white noise with his sleep sheep. He got mad at me and told me to turn it off.
But he tells me that he is afraid of thunder. Which makes a little bit of sense, because right around the time that all of this started happening, we had a few thunderstorms roll through at night. But we haven't had any since, and his waking is not connected with any noises. He just wakes up. So maybe he's having some bad dreams or something... We don't know. Erik brought up a mattress from his old bunk bed set and put that on the floor in Jacob's room, so at least we have someplace somewhat comfortable to sleep while we try to work through this phase. But it's exhausting. And Jacob is a bed hog. Seriously. He positions himself just right so that he takes up the most amount of space on the bed, usually pushing me or Erik off.
Right now we're also going through a mommy attachment phase. If I'm home, or around, he becomes very clingy with me. A few nights ago he worked himself into a huge fit because Erik went upstairs to comfort him instead of me. When I'm not around, no problem. So this is also a little frustrating for us.
We had an exciting trip on the Cumberland railroad a few weeks ago. After 5 years of talking about going, we finally got our parents and my sister and brother-in-law to join us for a train ride. Jacob seemed a little afraid of things at first, but then he couldn't seem to get enough of the steam and diesel engines. I need to get the pictures from my dad so that I can post them here. But here are a few:
![]() |
| Getting a good picture of the three of us is a challenge... |
![]() |
| The whole group |
![]() |
| Long day on the train = falling asleep on the train |
The end of the school year is on my doorstep. Today I gave my last final and finished up grades. I've got everything pretty much squared away. It's the earliest I've been done with things. I have a few more things to clean before I can close the door to my classroom for the summer, but that shouldn't take long.
I'm also very excited for my sister and brother-in-law, who are expecting their first baby in early October. Today, they announced that they're having a boy! I've actually known this since our train ride... And now it's such a relief to know that I don't have to keep it a secret anymore :-) Now I can get started planning their baby shower!
![]() |
| Yay, Baby Boy Thompson! |




No comments:
Post a Comment