Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Half a Year ALREADY?!?

My little bug is six months old today!  I have no idea how half a year passed so quickly already. 


You'll have to wait for his "official" six month post though.  He's got his check-up next Monday, and I still need to get him in his monthly onesie. 

Of course, all good things must come to an end (or so they say).  Right now, there are a number of those things.  The first is summer vacation.  Jacob and I have had our fair share of good and "bad" days.  Those days when he refused to nap were pretty awful, and I have to admit that on some of those days I wondered if it wasn't too late to find a summer job away from the house.  But my little bug and I powered through and I have to say that looking back on it, even with those awful days, I wouldn't trade being at home with him for the world.  I've learned so much about him -- his likes and dislikes, his different cries, the signals he gives for when he wants different things -- and so much about myself as well.  It's been an incredible summer of growth for both of us. 

Another "good" thing -- and really, I find this kind of hilarious -- is Jacob's napping.  I mean, if you've been following this blog for any length of time then you know that Jacob and I have struggled with his lack of nap times.  It seemed in the last week or so that we had turned a corner.  I would put Jacob in his crib when he started showing signs of being tired, and would fall asleep shortly thereafter, without any fuss.  He and I had a fabulous week together.  He was happy and bubbly, talkative and giggly.  And then this weekend seemed to be the turning point.  And now we're back to poor Jacob and his nap struggles.  But at least he's been sleeping through the night again, waking up around 5 or 6am for breakfast.  He's wimpered a little around 2am or so, but he goes right back to sleep.  Somehow, I think that Jacob and his naps/sleep will be a battle that he and I will constantly wage. 

One of my high school English teachers always said that "ends are beginnings are ends are beginnings..."  It's true.  And now the end of summer vacation brings the beginning of a new school year.  I'm looking forward to going back to work for teacher week.  That's always a decent time.  It's going back with kids that I'm still uneasy about.  Not that I think it's going to be a rough year.  I just don't know if I'm ready for that part of reality.  And while next week is shaping up to be a decent week, it's also going to be rough as I face putting Jacob in daycare.  It was hard to go back to work after my maternity leave was up, but I had family staying with Jacob, so it wasn't as bad.  We've picked a good daycare (at least I think we have) and he'll be cared for and he'll learn new things.  But my heart breaks thinking that he might cry and miss his mommy.  I just keep telling myself that he'll be just fine.  And so will I.  :-)

1 comment:

  1. I have the doorway jumper for you! I think the jump, jump, jumping will help with naps! I will bring it with me on Thursday. Bring Jacob's shoes and we can test it out at school. Honestly, school has some on the best doorways for the jumper!

    ReplyDelete