Sunday, November 24, 2013

Marissa's Wedding

My sister got married last weekend (November 16), and it really was a fabulous wedding.  We had a little bit of stress on Friday as we worked to get a few things done, but Saturday was a beautiful day.  Marissa seemed pretty calm and collected, and while we were running a little behind, we still got to the church on time (early)!  Jacob behaved himself as best as he could.  He rolled around in the aisle of the church -- which everyone, including the priest, seemed get a kick out of -- and then spent some time playing outside with Erik during the ceremony.  He had a fun time dancing at the reception and playing with some of the other little kids.  My sister looked amazing, and we really had an awesome time.

What follows below is that long-awaited matron of honor speech:
I was working on this the other night, and my husband suggested that I make an outline.  I scoffed at that idea.  I'm an English teacher.  I don't make outlines -- I make my students make them.  Then he suggested that I look online for a MadLibs-like version where I could just fill in the blanks.  I looked.  I couldn't find one.  I've had lots of input from my work friends about how to incorporate various pieces of literature.  We talked about having you all write a timed essay on your napkins in which you would respond to a quote about marriage, then you could think-pair-share your thoughts.  But we have enough essays to grade right now, and I wasn't sure what the influences of alcohol might do to your responses.  If you have any way of following my Facebook feed, you'll know just how crazy the other suggestions got.  Rest assured, I will not be singing any Wiggles songs, or twerking.  Instead, I offer you this:

 When my parents brought Marissa home for the first time, I thought she came from the shelter.  That was where our cat had come from.  I just assumed my parents got Marissa from there, too.  But that didn't really matter.  I was pretty excited to have a little sister -- so excited that I pulled out my My Little Pony sewing cards and showed Marissa how they worked.  I finally had someone who I thought would truly appreciate my four-year-old sewing abilities.  She was going to be someone who I could play Barbies with -- and she wouldn't rip their heads off like our older brother and his friend would sometimes do.  We would play with dolls, and color, and be best friends.  I had decided that as soon as she was out of her crib, we'd share a room and stay up late, telling jokes and secrets.  And all of these things eventually did happen, although Barbie still lost her head a few times, and my sewing abilities haven't really improved.  But Marissa has always been my best friend.  We have shared in each other's highs and lows.  There are an infinite number of jokes that we carry between us -- most of them involving poop -- and even though Marissa has been known to wander the streets of Baltimore in pink fuzzy pajama pants at two in the morning, I still seek out her opinion for many things.  My only wish is that we lived closer to one another so that we could truly drive one another -- and probably our mom -- absolutely crazy. 

 But I am over the moon happy that Marissa has found another best friend with whom she can spend every day.  And I don't mind sharing that best friend title with Jack, just as I'm sure Marissa hasn't minded sharing that best friend title with my husband.  Or maybe she has and she just hasn't said anything about it...  Anyway,  my words of wisdom and advice for the two of you are this:  Jack, please take care of my best friend.  Comfort her when she's sad, and make her smile with silly jokes and images of interpretive dance in sparkly leotards.  Encourage her and push her, and every now and then, throw her in the car and drive her to Maryland so that we can hang out and wear pink fuzzy pajama pants around the streets of Laurel.  Marissa, be kind to Jack.  It's not as easy for mom to block in his car when it's not parked in her driveway.  Be a shoulder for him to cry on, like you have been for me, and the voice of reason when he needs guidance.  Except, don't ever advise him to wear pink fuzzy pajama pants.  At any time during the day.  Support each other in all you do and make sure you say "I love you," no matter how crazy you're making one another.  Marissa and Jack, I wish you many years of happiness together.  Cheers!

The following photos are courtesy of my dad:
Jacob checking out the vows

My beautiful sister and her fabulous husband

PJs, good music, and some crayons -- this is the life

Jacob's version of 52 Pick-Up, but with crayons instead

 And there you have it!  When we have more pictures, and we have permission, I'll update with more!

 

 

1 comment: