Whenever we were sick, my dad would always say that he wished he had a magic wand to wave and make us feel better. I think I've said it before, but it's interesting how I finally really understand what he was saying.
I took Jacob for his 15 month check-up on Wednesday. He screamed and cried from the minute we walked into the exam room until we left. He did not want to let me go, so weighing him and measuring his height was rough, as was when the doctor checked out his legs/hips and everything else that required me to put him on the exam table for any short period of time. The good news was that he is growing well and developing on target. The bad news? He has a double ear infection and he has pink eye. Where I felt really bad? I had no idea something was wrong. Jacob hadn't been pulling at his ears any more than usual (or so I felt). And the redness in his eye? I chalked that up to seasonal allergies, like I have. For the record though, when I picked him up to go to the doctor, I did notice that he had more eye crusties than usual, which I asked the doctor about before she even told me he had pink eye. So Jacob is on an antibiotic, which he absolutely hates, and I was actually surprised at how quickly his pink eye episode cleared up. His doctor recommended that he stay home from daycare on yesterday, but he could go back today.
As luck would have it, as I was driving to pick up Jacob's prescription on Wednesday, I noticed that my eye was red, itchy, watery, and was getting gunky. I've never had pink eye, so I took yesterday off to go to the doctor, which was good because I woke up with a sore throat, stuffy nose, and a pressure in my head that made it feel like someone was squeezing it with a vise.
My doctor told me that I had what he thought might be a very mild case of pink eye, and definitely an upper respiratory infection.
So I get antibiotics, too. Too bad I have the horse pill variety, and not the orange flavored liquid that Jacob gets...
Apparently, the magic wand that I have makes my child feel better, but transfers sickness to me. Jacob was back to his normal, energetic self, with just a few instances of whiney clinginess. I, however, felt worse, rather than better.
And what really upsets me is that I was so looking forward to going up to Pittsburgh this weekend to go bridesmaid dress shopping with my sister, and spend time with my family. But that's just not happening this weekend, because my body hurts so much.
Time to get my magic wand checked...
No comments:
Post a Comment